On the official site for the anime adaptation of Asato’s Asato light novels, 86: Eighty-Six, the second promotional video for the second part of the adaptation project (titled in Japan as the second season) was posted. The video confirms that this second part will premiere on October 2 in Japan, and reveals the new musical themes that include:
The band Amazarashi will perform the new opening song titled “Kyoukaisen (Boundary Line)”, while Regal Lily will perform the new closing song titled “Alchemila”.
The announcement also revealed new members of the project’s voice cast, including:
- Misaki Kuno as Frederica Rosenfort.
- Yuuya Uchida as Ernst Zimmerman.
- Asuna Tomari as Shiden Iida.
The press release also revealed the cover art for the Blu-ray BOX that will be included as an acquisition benefit by all distributors in Japan. The first part aired during the Spring-2021 season (April-June) and had eleven episodes. A second part (Japan titled them “First” and “Second” Seasons) is scheduled for next October. For its part, Asato Asato began publishing the light novels in April 2017 through the Dengeki Bunko publishing label. by Kadokawa. Shirabi (Musaigen no Phantom World) and artist I-IV (Aldnoah.Zero, Re: Creators) have been in charge of the illustrations.
- Toshimasa Ishii (Uchuu Kyoudai, Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Occultic; Nine) is directing the anime at A-1 Pictures Studios, with Shirogumi Studios in charge of CG animation.
- Toshiya Ono (Yakusoku no Neverland, Houseki no Kuni, Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujoo Oo-hen) is in charge of writing and supervising the scripts.
- Tetsuya Kawakami (Demi-chan wa Kataritai, Robot Girls Z, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) is in charge of character design.
- Hiroyuki Sawano and Kohta Yamamoto are in charge of composing the soundtrack.
Synopsis for 86: Eighty-Six
The Republic of Saint Magnolia. This country has long been under siege by its neighbor, the Giadian Empire, which created a series of unmanned drones called the Legion. After years of painstaking research, the Republic finally developed its own autonomous drones, turning the one-sided fight into a casualtyless war – or at least, that’s what the government claims.
In truth, there is no bloodless war. Beyond the walls that protect the eighty-five territories of the Republic is the “nonexistent” “Eighty-Six Sector”. The young men and women of this forsaken land are branded “The Eighty-Six” and, stripped of their humanity, lead the “unmanned” weapons into battle … Shinn directs the actions of a detachment of Eighty-Six youths in the battlefield. Lena is a “manipulator” who commands the detachment from the remote rear with the help of special communication. The farewell story of the severe and sad struggle of these two begins!