On the official site for the animated adaptation of the manga written and illustrated by Tsubasa Yamaguchi, Blue Period, the first promotional video for the project was posted, as well as a new promotional image and voice cast. The press release confirmed that the premiere is scheduled for next October in Japan.
Furthermore, Yamaguchi began publishing the manga in Kodansha publisher’s Monthly Afternoon magazine in June 2017. The publisher published the eighth compiled volume on September 23, followed by the ninth on January 21 in Japan.
Cast of voices
- Hiromu Mineta as Yatora Yaguchi.
- Yumiri Hanamori as Ryuji Ayukawa.
- Daiki Yamashita as Yotasuke Takahashi.
- Kengo Kawanishi as Yuu Hashida.
- Yume Miyamoto as Maki Kuwana.
- Koji Masunari (Kamichu !, Kokoro Toshokan, Saber Marionette R) is directing the project, while Katsuya Asano (Yu ☆ Gi ☆ Oh! VRAINS) is directing the series at Seven Arcs Studios.
- Reiko Yoshida (Art, Girls und Panzer, High School Fleet, K-On!) Is in charge of writing and supervising the scripts.
- Tomoyuki Shitaya (Bakuman, Hatsukoi Limited, Kiss x Sis, Oshi ga Budoukan Ittekuretara Shinu) is in charge of character design.
Synopsis of Blue Period
Yatora Yaguchi is a second year high school student who is bored with his normal life. He studies well and plays with his friends, but he doesn’t really enjoy any of these activities. Tied to the rules, he secretly envies those who dare to do things differently.
This is until he discovers the joy of drawing. When he sees a painting made by a member of the Art Club, Yataro is fascinated by the colors used. Then, in an art exercise, he tries to convey his language using painting instead of words. After that experience, Yataro is so immersed in this activity that he decides that this is what he wants to do for the rest of his life. But there will be many obstacles in his decision, including his parents.