About the Amoeba
The scientific name of this parasite is “Naegleria fowleri”, but it is popularly known as the “brain-eating” amoeba, since it directly affects that organ, being truly fatal for those who suffer from it. The serious thing about this is that recently, a rare case of this infection was confirmed in Florida, United States.
As revealed by the Florida Department of Health, last Friday a Hillsborough County person was identified with an amoeba. This single-celled parasite is normally found in temperate and stagnant freshwater like lakes and ponds, and can enter the human body through the nose, going directly to the brain and destroying brain tissue.
Until now, the health status of this person and where the disease was spread to is unknown.
Hillsborough Emergency Alert
Faced with the emergency scenario, the state of Florida issued a warning to Hillsborough residents to avoid nasal contact with tap water and other sources such as rivers, ponds, pools, hot springs and canals, where they can catch it. lethal disease.
In case of contagion, the authorities ask that “they seek medical assistance immediately, because the disease progresses rapidly”, in fact, once it enters through the nose, the microorganism invades the olfactory nerves and goes to the brain, where it feeds of nerve cells causing a dangerous disorder called amoebic meningoencephalitis.
Those who become infected with this dangerous “brain-eating” virus experience symptoms such as fever, nausea, vomiting, neck and head pain, which get worse quickly and, in most cases, die in just one week.
Remember, this disease is rare and effective prevention strategies can allow you to have a safe and relaxing summer season, “indicates the document published on the official Twitter account of the Department of Health of that country.
Infections with this bacteria are rare. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) since 1962, 146 cases of amebine meningoencephalitis have been reported throughout the United States, of which only four patients survived. As reported by the Miami Herald newspaper on its website.
Until now, there are no tests that immediately detect the infection in the brain and the symptoms are similar to those of a simple infection, so the medical personnel cannot detect the danger that the infected person may be carrying.