On the official site for 07th Expansion’s original anime and Passione Studios, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou (Higurashi: When They Cry – Gou), the cover art and details of the project’s second compilation Blu-ray / DVD pack were revealed.
This physical package will be released on March 24 in Japan and will include the fifth to eighth episodes of this new animation project. The Blu-ray version is priced at 14,300 yen (about $137), while the DVD version is priced at 12,100 yen (about $116). Among the benefits are listed a booklet of illustrations and game codes for smartphones.
The series premiered in Japan on October 1 and is confirmed with a total of 24 episodes. The franchise is based entirely on a series of visual novels whose first installment was released in Japan in 2002. From there multiple adaptations to manga, anime and live-action projects started.
- Ryukishi07 and 07th Expansion are credited with the original idea, while Akio Watanabe (Monogatari Series) is handling the character design.
- The Passione studios (Citrus, Rokka no Yuusha, High School DxD Hero) are in charge of the animation of the project.
- Naoki Hayashi (Black Fox, Citrus) is in charge of writing and supervising the scripts.
- Kenji Kawai (Ghost in the Shell, Mobile Suit Gundam 00) returns to compose the soundtrack for the series.
- Asaka performs the opening song titled “I believe what you said”, while Ayane performs the closing song titled “Kamisama no Syndrome”.
Synopsis of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou
On a warm summer day in 1983, transfer student Maebara Keiichi arrives in a peaceful rural town in Hinamizawa. There, he befriends his classmates Rena, Mion, Rika, and Satoko. Accepted as an official member of the “club,” Keiichi and the gang engage in various activities such as card and board games, as well as hide and seek. But just as Keiichi was starting to get used to life in the country, he came across the dark story behind Hinamizawa. As Keiichi unravels this dark mystery, he discovers that his new friends may not be what they appear to be.