On the official site for the anime adaptation of the manga written and illustrated by Jun Mochizuki, Vanitas no Carte (The Case Study of Vanitas), the cover art and details of the project’s first Blu-ray / DVD compilation package were posted.
This first Blu-ray / DVD compilation package is scheduled for release in Japan on October 27 and will include episodes first through third. The Blu-ray version will be priced at 8,250 yen (about $79) and the DVD version will be priced at 7,150 yen (about $69). The benefits include an original manga, a Drama CD with an original story, and a booklet with illustrations and production materials.
The series will have a total of twenty-four episodes that will be broadcast in two separate halves (twelve episodes each). The series is broadcast on the Funimation platform in the West, and the first half premiered on July 2, while the second does not have a confirmed release date yet. On his side, Mochizuki began manga publishing through Square Enix publisher’s Gangan Joker magazine in December 2015.
- Tomoyuki Itamura (Nisemonogatari, Owarimonogatari, Tsukimonogatari) is directing the anime at BONES Studios.
- Deko Akao (Noragami, Akagami no Shirayuki-hime) is in charge of writing and supervising the scripts.
- Yoshiyuki Ito (Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou, Carole & Tuesday) is in charge of character design and animation direction.
- Yuki Kajiura (Kimetsu no Yaiba, Sword Art Online, Fate / Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works) is in charge of composing the soundtrack.
- Singer Sasanomaly performs the opening song titled “Sora to Utsuro”, while singer LMYK performs the closing song titled “0 (Zero)”.
Synopsis of Vanitas no Carte
Once upon a time there lived a vampire known as Vanitas, hated by his own kind for being born under a blue full moon, as most rise on the night of a crimson one. Fearful and alone, he created the “Book of Vanitas”, a cursed grimoire that would one day take revenge on all vampires; that’s at least the story.
Vanitas no Carte follows Noah, a young man who travels aboard an airship in 19th century Paris with one goal in mind: to find the Book of Vanitas. A sudden attack by vampires leads him to meet the enigmatic Vanitas, a doctor who specializes in vampires and, to Noah’s surprise, a completely ordinary human. The mysterious doctor has inherited both the name and the infamous text of the Vanitas from legend, using the grimoire to heal his patients. But behind his kind demeanor there is something a little more sinister.