On the official site for the animated adaptation of the manga written and illustrated by Jun Mochizuki, Vanitas no Carte (The Case Study of Vanitas), the fourth of ten project previews was posted. The video does not confirm new information about the project.
The series is scheduled to premiere in Japan on July 2 and will air in two parts, with the second still without a scheduled premiere date. For his part, Mochizuki began publishing manga through Square Enix publisher’s Gangan Joker magazine in December 2015. The publisher published the seventh compiled volume in October 2019, followed by the eighth in June 2020 in Japan.
Cast of voices
- Natsuki Hanae as Vanitas.
- Kaito Ishikawa as Noah.
- Inori Minase as Jeanne.
- Shino Shimoji as Luca.
- Ai Kayano as Dominique.
- Akira Ishida as Sensei.
- Miyu Komaki as Murr.
- Tarou Kiuchi as Dante.
- Koji Yusa as Johann.
- Riho Kuma as Riche.
- Tomoyuki Itamura (Nisemonogatari, Owarimonogatari, Tsukimonogatari) is directing the anime at BONES Studios.
- Deko Akao (Noragami, Akagami no Shirayuki-hime) is in charge of writing and supervising the scripts.
- Yoshiyuki Ito (Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou, Carole & Tuesday) is in charge of character design and animation direction.
- Yuki Kajiura (Kimetsu no Yaiba, Sword Art Online, Fate / Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works) is in charge of composing the soundtrack.
Synopsis of Vanitas no Carte
Once upon a time there lived a vampire known as Vanitas, hated by his own kind for being born under a blue full moon, as most rise on the night of a crimson one. Fearful and alone, he created the “Book of Vanitas”, a cursed grimoire that would one day take revenge on all vampires; that’s at least the story.
Vanitas no Carte follows Noah, a young man who travels aboard an airship in 19th century Paris with one goal in mind: to find the Book of Vanitas. A sudden attack by vampires leads him to meet the enigmatic Vanitas, a doctor who specializes in vampires and, to Noah’s surprise, a completely ordinary human. The mysterious doctor has inherited both the name and the infamous text of the Vanitas from legend, using the grimoire to heal his patients. But behind his kind demeanor hides something a little more sinister.