On the official site for the original MAPPA, Avex Pictures and Cygames anime, Zombieland Saga, the distribution information for the Blu-ray compilation packages for the project’s second season, titled Zombieland Saga Revenge, was revealed. This information confirmed that the series will have a total of twelve episodes.
- Package 1 (episodes 1 to 4) – June 25, 2021.
- Package 2 (episodes 5 to 8) – July 30, 2021.
- Package 3 (episodes 9-12) – August 27, 2021.
The series has been broadcast in Japan since April 8, 2021, while the Crunchyroll platform is in charge of its international distribution. The first season of twelve episodes was produced by MAPPA studios and released in October 2018. A manga adaptation by Megumu Soramichi has been published through the Cycomi service of the Cygames publisher since October 2018.
Cast of voices
- Mamoru Miyano as Koutarou Tatsumi.
- Asami Tano as Saki Nikaidou.
- Kotono Mitsuishi as Tae Yamada.
- Kaede Hondo as Sakura Minamoto.
- Minami Tanaka as Lily Hoshikawa.
- Maki Kawase as Junko Konno.
- Risa Taneda as Ai Mizuno.
- Rika Kinugawa as Yuugiri.
- Munehisa Sakai (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal, Koi to Producer: EVOL × LOVE), returns to direct the series at MAPPA Studios.
- Shigeru Murakoshi (Murenase! Seton Gakuen, Taisou Zamurai) returns to write and supervise the series scripts.
- Kasumi Fukagawa (IDOLiSH7, Taisou Zamurai), returned to handle the character designs.
- Yasuharu Takanashi (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal, Fukigen na Mononokean), returns to compose the soundtrack in collaboration with Funta7.
- The Franchouchou musical unit performs the opening song titled “Taiga yo Tomo ni Naite Kure”, as well as the closing song titled “Yume wo Te ni, Modoreru Basho mo Nai Hibi wo”.
Zombieland Saga Synopsis
Sakura Minamoto dreams of becoming an idol. Unfortunately, reality hits her like a truck (literally) and she dies in a sudden car accident. Ten years later, she awakens in Saga Prefecture, only to find herself turned into a zombie with no memory of her past. While still accepting her new destiny, she meets a man named Koutarou Tatsumi, who explains that he has resurrected her and six other girls from other eras as zombies with the goal of financially revitalizing Saga Prefecture by creating a group of idols.
Assuming the role of an aggressive manager, Koutarou begins scheduling events; the girls finally accept it and decide to name their idol group “Franchouchou”. An absurdly comical take on the anime idol genre, Zombieland Saga tells Franchouchou’s poignant story of saving Saga Prefecture while hiding her identities as zombies and rediscovering her past.