Special illustrations were posted on the official Twitter account for MAPPA Studios’ original anime, Zombieland Saga: Revenge, to commemorate the broadcast of the fifth episode of the series. The illustration was done by Mariko Kawamoto, who was in charge of the animation direction.
On the other hand, the first season of twelve episodes of Zombieland Saga was released in October 2018 in Japan, with the production of the MAPPA studios, under the direction of Munehisa Sakai and scripts written by Shigeru Murakoshi. A second season has been broadcast since April 8 in Japan, while Crunchyroll broadcasts it in the West.
- Munehisa Sakai (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal, Koi to Producer: EVOL × LOVE), returns to direct the series at MAPPA Studios.
- Shigeru Murakoshi (Murenase! Seton Gakuen, Taisou Zamurai) returns to write and supervise the series scripts.
- Kasumi Fukagawa (IDOLiSH7, Taisou Zamurai), returned to handle the character designs.
- Yasuharu Takanashi (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal, Fukigen na Mononokean), returns to compose the soundtrack in collaboration with Funta7.
- The Franchouchou musical unit performs the opening song titled “Taiga yo Tomo ni Naite Kure” as well as the closing song titled “Yume wo Te ni, Modoreru Basho mo Nai Hibi wo”.
Zombieland Saga Synopsis
Sakura Minamoto dreams of becoming an idol. Unfortunately, reality hits her like a truck (literally) and she dies in a sudden car accident. Ten years later, she awakens in Saga Prefecture, only to find herself turned into a zombie with no memory of her past. While still accepting her new destiny, she meets a man named Koutarou Tatsumi, who explains that he has resurrected her and six other girls from other eras as zombies with the goal of financially revitalizing Saga Prefecture by creating a group of idols.
Assuming the role of an aggressive manager, Koutarou begins scheduling events; the girls finally accept it and decide to name his idol group “Franchouchou”. An absurdly comical take on the anime idol genre, Zombieland Saga tells Franchouchou’s poignant story of saving Saga Prefecture while hiding her identities as zombies and rediscovering her past.